Friday, July 13, 2012

4th of July

We started the day bright and early with a ward breakfast and program at the park.  I was cooking 4 of the 17 breakfast casseroles and so I was up and ready to be there before 8 (the fun run was at 7:30).  But not a creature was stirring chez nous.  I had to jump on everyone at 7:45 just to get the food there in time, and that was even leaving Kevin to get Darren up and dressed and come later.  Besides great food (they also had pumpkin, blueberry and chocolate chip pancakes and fruit on the menu), it was a wonderful program.  We had a flag raising and joined in for the Pledge of Allegiance, which always makes me cry, a great video with photographs of beautiful scenes from across the country, wagon rides (like hay rides but no hay), and an incredible speech by a young veteran who served in Afghanistan.  I've decided that the 4th of July, from now on, must start this way.  I want to be moved to tears as I think about how much I love this great country.  If every American was able to feel that, even just that one day each year, I wonder what it could change.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take any pictures of that great morning :(, but our 2nd half of the day was recorded by Michelle :).  We had a fantastic BBQ at their house, a mini fireworks show in their backyard, and lots of play time on the trampoline.  Since all of the Ellis and Linkous cousins have moved to other states, we are extra thankful for our Lehnardt family!   Our usual tradition is to attend the huge fireworks show at Sugarhouse park, but we tried out a new spot for the big night fireworks that was a little closer and not quite as crowded.  We loved every minute.  
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Look at those cute kids. I seriously looked at Darren for a couple of seconds and thought "Who is that?" Ha! Hello, that's your nephew Natalie. :) He has gotten so big, and so handsome. Hooray for busy little boys!