Monday, January 14, 2008

2 Miracle Girls...by Kit

I'd have to say that my most precious moments of seeing the Lord's hand in my own life consist of the miracles of finally becoming a mother. You all know the whole story of the long road to parenthood that we were blessed to travel, but since this is the place to "remember, remember" I need to add this wonderful chapter to our extended family history-in-the-making :).

Kevin and I have both wanted children for as long as we can remember. In fact, that is one of the things I loved most about him even before we were married--his love for children and his excitement for the day he would be blessed to be a father (ok 2 things). We assumed we'd be able to have a baby as soon as we started trying, but that was not to be. A loving Father in Heaven knew that this would be the very domain where we would have to be tried "as Abraham"--needing to trust Him even though we couldn't understand why he would withhold from us the blessing we wanted more than anything else. Not just any blessing, but the very reason why we were created.

At every point along the way, the Lord put us exactly where we needed to be to be able to take the next step. In Utah we found the doctor who did the initial tests, the first treatments, and realized we would need to go straight to in vitro as soon as possible instead of wasting time trying other intermediary treatments. Then we were able to go back to France "for basketball" where the socialized medical system covers 100% of maternity and fertility treatments. We were contacted by the team in Cambrai (didn't even find them on our own) and were able to stay there for the 3 years it took to work with the amazing fertility team in Valenciennes and do all the testing, getting all our paperwork done to be legally able to be covered, and the 2 full in vitro cycles necessary. There were so many reminders of the Lord's tender mercies and constant care, but even with all of these, I'm ashamed to say that I too often found myself discouraged and lacking the faith I needed to wait patiently upon the Lord. He only wanted to give me this chance to grow in my patience and faith so I could be the best mother possible and here I was doubting!!! But even then, in my own "pit of dispair" during the 2nd in vitro process, He did not leave me comfortless and He gently reminded me that His promises are sure. While reading in the Book of Mormon, I followed a footnote to Numbers 14:11. (http://scriptures.lds.org/en/num/14) Ok, so I was being just like the children of Israel who doubted the Lord's promises after all the signs He'd given them. Pretty sad.

Fortunately for me, His promise to forgive us when we repent is sure, as well, and so....After 7 years of tracking, praying, fasting, testing, praying, fasting, treatments, praying, fasting, waiting, praying and fasting some more.....not just as individuals or as a couple, but with all of you and other faithful friends in the thick of it with us (the waiting, praying and fasting part anyway :) ) we were blessed with our 4.8 kg miracle, Ryn. Every minute of every day we thank Heavenly Father for the joy she is to us and to everyone we meet.

During the summer months of 2006 when Ryn was 6-8 months old, we continued our prayers for our family--asking to either be able to have children naturally or to be able to go back to France and start preparing to do in vitro again. (We knew if we needed to go the in vitro route it could take a while). As general conference approached, we grew more and more confident that the Lord would hear our prayers and our faith had progressed to where we knew He could (and trusted He WOULD) fix whatever needed to be fixed with us physically so that we could have a baby naturally. Conference weekend I felt I might possibly be pregnant (which would go against all scientific findings chez nous during the past 8 years). I took a pregnancy test which came back negative, but then I looked at the date on the box and it had expired in 2004 ....so Monday I left with Mom for Ontario and got a new test on the way to Grandma's. Tuesday morning's positive result was the reassurance that the Lord was blessing us once again--Elle was on her way!!!!! The pregnancy went well, the delivery was incredible, and Elle is an angel in every way (even with her ultra soprano ear-ringers). I cry almost every day when I look in their eyes and marvel that Heavenly Father would trust us with such treasures.

Sorry for the book, but I agree with Ammon: "Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to add that although I know you had very, very difficult days during those years of waiting; you continued to serve, to love, to be a Light of Christ to everyone you met.

I often think of you as an example of how we should act during difficult times. You taught those Sunbeams, fed every missionary in France and greeted new babies with love and excitement.

We were in the habit of praying "Please bless Kit and Kevin to have a baby" for so many years that you have simply become a part of our prayers.

Love you! M

P.S. and yes Kev, I am shooting in RAW--love it.

Anonymous said...

and I'm liking this Michael Buble music-- I've never heard of him before.

did you check out Kenny C's "Wife and Kids"?

Papa Stan said...

Thank you, Kit, for sharing and thanks be to God for delivering.
Love you,
PS

Aimee said...

Kit,

This was EXACTLY what I needed to read today!! I stumbled upon this older post of yours, from your friend, Michelle's blog. Brian and I have been TTC for over 2 years now, and every day can become a little more discouraging, when you're almost 34. Thanks for sharing such powerful insight!

Aimee