Tuesday, November 22, 2011

our little author-in-the-making

We drove into our driveway at about 2:30 am Monday morning, exhausted from our amazing quick trip to California for my Grandma (their great-grandma) Turtle's 95th birthday and a bonus day at Disneyland. More about those things later. Even though it felt like pure cruelty to wake them up for school, I couldn't keep Ryn from the surprise that was waiting for her in her class--a 1st place trophy in the literature category of the Reflections contest! They had called to see if we would be at the awards ceremony last week. We were already on the road so they told me not to tell Ryn and they could present it to her in her class. Now her short story will go on to the regional level of competition. Students can enter with any art form they choose--music, dance, drawing, painting, photography, video, etc. The theme for all categories is "Diversity means..." and here is her prize-winning entry:

title page "Different is Better, by Kathryn Linkous"

Photobucket

page 1


Photobucket

page 2 --Love the heart exclamation points. I remember doing that exact thing when I was her age. And no one teaches that. Girls are just girls :)


Photobucket


page 3 (I especially love the colored heart around the word "home". When I asked her why she was coloring that word she said, "because it's a feeling." Yep, I started crying right there at our kitchen counter at 10:00 at night :) )

Photobucket



I feel just a few buttons popping when I look at this smiling face...




Photobucket

2 comments:

Natalie said...

This is 100% priceless. Home is a feeling?! Kit, I'd say that can be your little reassurance on the hard days that you are doing everything you need to be doing right now. What a sweet little angel girl. Love you all so much. Give Ryn a big hug from all of us. :)

Happy said...

That is SO impressive!! Seriously, she has a true gift! Teya can't put together a story like that at all yet. Her's are still all over the place and never have a point to them, much less a moral to the story!!