Thursday, November 4, 2010

October funnies

Oct 2--Ryn and Elle kept talking when it was time to go to sleep. After several trips back to their room to ask them to stop, I said in frustration, "If I hear any more talking, you're going to get spanks." Ryn knew that the person who would start the talking as soon as I left would be Elle and she didn't want to be punished for her sister's transgressions :) so she asked tentatively, "If only one person is talking, can only one person get a spank?"


Oct 4--Kevin was singing along to the radio in the car and asked the girls if his song was beautiful. "No!" they cried in unison. "It was....handsome."


Oct 5--We grabbed some hot dogs and lemonade at the mall for the girls and I grabbed Elle's drink and took a sip without asking her. She let out a classic jungle puma scream that shook the food court. When Kevin sped her to the bathroom to stop the madness :), he reminded her that it's not OK to hurt people's ears and asked her why she screamed like that. She explained, "But sometimes moms just take things and I didn't even say 'sure'." It's true. I should have asked first.


Oct 7--Elle is usually great about getting to the bathroom in time, but got too busy playing and had an accident on this afternoon. I didn't look very happy about cleaning up, so Ryn asked me, "Are you going to call the police?"


Ryn had discovered the skill of gurgling her drinks and I had asked her to refrain from practicing every time she took a drink. At lunch she started up again, without thinking. I stopped eating and gave her a look and she realized what she was doing. With a guilty look on her face, she asked, "Am I giggling?"


Oct 9--We've started giving the girls a quarter on Saturdays if they do some small cleaning jobs around the house. They are so excited every time. This time, Ryn exclaimed, "I've been waiting all my life to get a quarter in my piggy bank!"


We went to McDonald's for dinner and a little boy threw up next to the play place. They came to clean up the mess, but the boy's dad just let him keep playing on the slides, even though he was sick. I'm not usually the germ freak in our family--that's Kev's department--but the idea of the girls climbing around up there and getting the stomach flu in the next day or two didn't seem very appealing to me. So we left. I was touched and humbled by Elle's sweet prayer that night before bed. "Please bless that little boy who was sick at the Old MacDonald's to get better." In my heart, my main thinking was how irresponsible that parent had been--not concern for the little boy who could use our prayers. Just one more example of how much I need to become more like these amazing children we've been blessed with.


Oct 12--Ryn and Elle aren't big fans of orange juice because of the pulp, but I was trying to sell it at breakfast since we were out of apple juice. "You'll like this kind," I assured them. Doubtfully, they both asked, "Does it have plum in it?"


Walking Ryn and Elle to Joy School at a house around the corner from ours, Eden tripped and fell down. Ryn helped her up and said in her loving big sister voice, "Eden, be careful when you trip."


Oct 13--Elle took a turn on the Whine Control Committee and asked Ryn with raised eyebrows, "Ryn, did I hear a whine?"


Oct 14--We were lucky to spend a few days taking pictures and going to Thanksgiving Point with Michelle and her gang and Eden was hooked. All day after they would leave, she would walk around asking, "Chelle? Chelle?"


Oct 15--We have 2 dust pans in our pantry. One that stays on the floor for the girls to use when they want to help me and the one I use that's hanging up high on a rack that they can't reach. I asked Ryn to bring me the one from the floor so I could clean up a mess in the bathroom, but she returned with the one from the high rack. "How did you get this dust pan, Ryn?" She didn't say anything at all for a few minutes while I cleaned up, so I asked again and finally she said, "Well...I don't really want to tell you how I got it."

Oct 18--Ryn and Elle have a night light in their room and as was getting up to leave after singing to them, it was casting my pregnant shadow on the wall by Ryn's bed. "Mom, I see your big, HUGE shadow!" Nothing like regular comments like that to remind you of how much weight you're gaining :).

Oct 20--Over the past week, our friend Michelle, the fabulous photographer, had come several times to take pictures of Eden and the other girls for a project she's working on. I told the girls they needed to hurry and eat breakfast so we could get ready because Michelle was coming that day. Eden excitedly ran to the door saying, "Pictures....me!"

Oct 22--Eden picked up a dirty napkin that had fallen and took it to the trash can without being asked. I praised her for doing it on her own and Elle shrugged her shoulders and said, "yep, she's a trash girl."

Oct 24--During sacrament meeting, I asked Elle to fold her arms and pay attention to the opening prayer, given by one of the men in the ward. When it was done, she looked at him and the other leaders in suits on the stand and said, "Are those President Monson's friends?"

3 comments:

Natalie said...

So funny. Your rose garden is so cute! Way to be super mom Kit. ;)

Elle cracks me up. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I love your girls!

Astorga Family said...

I know I can always enjoy a good laugh from your monthly funnies! Love it!