Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

Maybe it's because I need to learn a little more about budgeting my time and energy as a mother :), maybe it's just because I'm pregnant and extra tired, maybe it's because my turn to teach Joy School for Ryn and Elle fell on this week, maybe it's because I decided to make costumes instead of buying them, maybe it's because my kids are all so little---whatever the reason, this week just wore me out. It wore all of us out, actually, if the piles of wadded up Kleenex, runny noses and sore throats are any indication. But don't get me wrong. I loved it all. I loved seeing our 'rose garden' in full bloom... I loved having a grown-up costume game night with my family.......and seeing Mom's pure joy, being able to have some of her grand kids at her ward Trunk-or-treat and then at her house for an incredible Halloween lunch (complete with mummy hot dogs and spider web pizza).I loved the neighborhood dinner idea we got from Michelle's friend and how many people turned up in the rain to enjoy soup and veggies before braving the cold with their costumed kiddies. But I think what I loved most of all was watching our newest tradition bring smiles to every home on our hurried trick-or-treat route--Halloween caroling. The girls had learned these 2 fun songs in Joy School and shared them with every ounce of excitement that had been building all week. Adults and older kids in any room of every home hurried to the door to hear the adorable surprise. Cousins Brian and Caitie quickly picked up the catchy tunes and joined in with full voice after the first 2 houses.
In the rainy, windy cold I asked Caitie, Ryn, Elle and Brian if they wanted to go home and they replied with enthusiastic chanting, "More candy! More candy! More candy!" After another 20 minutes, Tom, Carma and Eden rushed home to get warm and I asked Caitie (who was slowing down a bit) if she was up for one more house. She said, "I'm up for anything! Lead the way, Ryn!" That last house was giving out full cans of soda and a full sized candy bar to each child which prompted Brian to sum up the night with this contented summary-- "This was the best Halloween ever!" So, yes, even with the lingering stuffy noses, it was a very happy Halloween.

No comments: