Wednesday, January 21, 2009

She's coming!

Just a quick baby update--I had an ultrasound yesterday, just to be sure this little girl doesn't end up weighing 10 lbs 10 oz like Ryn, and everything looks good. She's on track to be about 8 1/2 lbs if I go all the way to my due date of Feb 12. I'm already dilated to 3 cm, and the doctor said she could come anytime, any day. I know that means that I could very well last the full 3 weeks more, but it also means I could deliver tomorrow. So today I am frantically washing all the newborn clothes, car seat cover, etc and packing a bag to be ready just in case. :) Of course, the bag packing is much easier here than in France where you have to bring everything yourself. Not just clothes to wear home or cute outfits for the baby to meet the world in, but diapers, wipes, the very first clothes that get put on the baby (which are very specific and strict: 1 onesie, knitted wool booties, footed pyjamas, a wool knitted sweater--2 if it's winter--and hat. I found out the hard way with Ryn that they don't bend on those stipulations--Kev had to go to the store before my labor was done to get the missing items!), etc. I called St. Mark's hospital today to ask if there was a list of things I needed to bring and the girl just laughed. She couldn't believe it!

Name update--the current favorite is Eden Taylor Linkous. Eden means 'paradise' or 'delightful': this little girl has been easy from day one, and I'm in heaven knowing another angel is coming to us. Taylor is my dad's mom's maiden name, and I've always wanted that as part of a girl's name....so here we are. Sorry to all of you who were counting on the other names in the voting :). Even though we like them still, they just didn't feel right and this one really does.

I've been really tired today--going through not just the new baby clothes, but rotating Ryn's and Elle's clothes up to the next sizes as well--and having a bunch of contractions. All of it has made me a little worried and anxious about my capacity and readiness to be the mother of 3. But the Lord's counsel to Father Smith in D&C 4 has calmed me and given me hope in the promises He makes to those who want to serve in His marvelous work. I know this section is focused on the work of restoring and declaring the gospel to the world, but what a marvelous part of that work is motherhood! And all the same requirements apply--I have to serve with all my heart, might, mind and strength. My desires to be a partner with God in this work help qualify me for the calling. Faith, hope, charity, love, and an eye single to the glory of God are the other qualifications. I'm supposed to remember (instead of getting discouraged and frazzled when the days get tough) faith, virtue, knowledge, patience, kindness, humility and diligence. None of these are easy things, but they are simple and the Lord promises in the last verse that I will receive if I ask. As in all things, He wants us to be happy and to succeed because He loves us. So He tells us exactly what we need to do and to be and He promises to help us do and become when we come to Him.

So come whenever you're ready, little Eden. I won't be perfect, but I will give you all that I have to give and trust that He will make up the difference.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I love the name, there was a young woman in our ward in Houston named Eden. Any little person that gets you for a mom is pretty lucky Kit. The Lord will make you equal to the task at hand. As my favorite hymn, "How Firm a Foundation" says: "I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand." I love you Kit.

Natalie said...

I'm also really wishing that our baby ticker looked like yours! :)

Mark and Aupreille said...

Oh my goodness! I saw the title of your post and started jumping up and down and shouting to Mark that you guys were having your baby. He was laughing at me while I frantically scanned your post. I was kind of thinking 'that's wierd they have posted about it already but we haven't had any calls from anyone in the family and after our announcement via the blog didn't seem to go over so well that's strange, maybe I should slow down and see what it's saying'. Sorry that was a really long thought process.

Anyway, I am so excited for you guys and so jealous that you have decided on a name. I think there is a very good chance that your baby will come first. We should start a family poll over which baby will come first and when.