Saturday, May 31, 2008

What to do with them?


A couple of days ago I was returning an email to my good friend, Alisa, and we were talking about motherhood and the challenge it is. I know that these last few months for me were really a time of searching. Before I became a mother, I thought I knew some things. Now it seems that every day I realize more and more that I know nothing. That's why my (and my children's) only hope lies in asking Heavenly Father what to do and how to do it--every single day.


So when questions come (like they do constantly: What is most important? How do I use this day, or this hour, or these 5 minutes, in the way that would eternally benefit them, our family, and others the most? How do I teach a 2 and a half year old and a one year old about the Savior and the magnitude of His atonement? How do I teach them to love? How do I teach them French?), I am trying to remember some wisdom I learned (and have to keep learning) the month before Ryn was born from Alma, in the Book of Mormon. I was trying to study and prepare myself as much as possible for this sacred trust the Lord was sending to me. In this scripture, Alma was teaching his son, Helaman, how to take care of something extremely important that he was going to leave in his care. He counselled:


"But if ye keep the commandments of God, and do with these things which are sacred according to that which the Lord doth command you, (for you must appeal unto the Lord for all things whatsoever ye must do with them) behold, no power of earth or hell can take them from you, for God is powerful to the fulfilling of all his words. For he will fulfil all his promises which he shall make unto you..."


I only have to glance at these girls to know how sacred they really are. That's why He continues to gently remind me that I can't and I must not try to do this on my own. They are His daughters and even more precious to Him than they are to me. I'm so thankful He trusts me enough, even with all my weaknesses, to share them with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this line, "I can't and I must not try to do this on my own."

But may I say that you are a marvelous mother just by being YOU! Trust me Kit, your girls couldn't possibly find a better mother than you. xoxo, m

Natalie said...

What a great insight Kit. I feel the same way, this is the most humbling job in the world. You think you'll know just what to do, and then...

:) I love you and I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling just a tiny bit overwhelmed! What a blessing to have the scriptures and the Spirit to guide us in this great mission that we have!

Mama KK said...

And I wish I could say it gets easier, but you never can quit pleading with the Lord for help... you need His help even more as your children get older! Keep up the good work of being dependent on the Lord. I love you so much!