Monday, April 4, 2011

the Key to Happiness

I've never experienced postpartum depression, but the combination of hormones that surely have been a little out of whack, no sleep, and all the stress/fatigue/never-ending to-do lists that come with moving have sometimes left me overwhelmed and unhappy over these past few weeks. Then having those feelings makes me feel guilty and ungrateful. How can I be unhappy when I am so extremely blessed?! How grateful I am to have the Book of Mormon and the Bible to remind me of the things I know to be true. Today I read in Alma 34 and found my answer in verse 38. (I even had already written "Key to HAPPINESS" in the margin next to it. :)) "That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you." So, somewhere during these busy days I stopped living in thanksgiving and focused more on all that wasn't perfect or wasn't done yet. I gave into pride-- trying to do everything on my own and ending up discouraged, instead of humbly seeking the Lord's help. And I stopped listening to the help the Holy Ghost was trying to give me when he encouraged me to repent. Pretty sad state to be in. Thankfully, the scriptures, prayer, and a wonderful General Conference have helped me wake up again. :)

2 comments:

Matt said...

Kit, you're amazing, and wonderful. Sorry things have been tricky lately, I know the feeling. Moving after having a baby is really hard to do. I love you, thanks for your great example!

Matt said...

I'm sure Matt would agree, but that was me. :)